What are the many things that Reading Health System is doing to deliver value, and to ultimately make individuals and our broader communities healthier? Here are just some of the REASONS WHY Reading Health System is the smart choice for your total health.
One of 10 Best Value Hospitals in Pennsylvania according to Verras Medical Value Index™. This is based on six universally accepted metrics of quality and cost efficiency.
Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission represents our shared commitment to improving the quality and safety of care provided to our patients.
Highmark® Quality Blue Award recognizes the Emergency Department for reducing the time between arrival and discharge or readmission. Also recognizes reduction in time to be seen by a physician.
Patient Safety ExcellenceAward™for five consecutive years and were ranked among the Top 5% of all hospitals in the nation for patient safety.
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given Aspirin at Arrival
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given Aspirin at Discharge
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given ACE Inhibitor or ARB for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction (LVSD)
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given Smoking Cessation Advice/Counseling
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given Beta Blocker at Discharge
- Percentage of Heart Attack Patients Given PCI Within 90 Minutes of Arrival
- Percentage of Heart Failure Patients Given Assessment of Left Ventricular Function (LVF)
- Percentage of Heart Failure Patients Given ACE Inhibitor or ARB for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction
- Percentage of Heart Failure Patients Given Smoking Cessation Advice/Counseling
- Percentage of Heart Failure Patients Given Discharge Instructions
- Percentage of Pneumonia Patients Given Initial Antibiotics Within 6 Hours After Arrival
- Percentage of Pneumonia Patients Given Smoking Cessation Advice/Counseling
- Percentage of Pneumonia Patients Assessed and Given Pneumococcal Vaccination
- Percentage of Pneumonia Patients Having a Blood Culture Performed Prior to First Antibiotic Received in Hospital
- Percentage of Pneumonia Patients Assessed and Given Influenza Vaccination
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Who Received Preventative Antibiotics One Hour Before Incision
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Whose Preventative Antibiotics Are Stopped Within 24 hours After Surgery
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Who Received the Appropriate Preventative Antibiotic(s) for Their Surgery
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Whose Doctors Ordered Treatments to Prevent Blood Clots (Venous Thromboembolism) for Certain Types of Surgeries
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Who Received Treatment to Prevent Blood Clots Within 24 Hours Before or After Selected Surgeries
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Who Were Taking Heart Drugs Called Beta Blockers Before Coming to the Hospital, Who Were Kept on the Beta Blockers During the Period Just Before and After Their Surgery
- Percentage of All Heart Surgery Patients Whose Blood Sugar (Blood Glucose) is Kept Under Good Control in the Days Right After Surgery
- Percentage of Surgery Patients Needing Hair Removed From the Surgical Area Before Surgery, Who Had Hair Removed Using a Safer Method (Electric Clippers or Hair Removal Cream – Not a Razor)
This is the first and only clinically reliable measure of healthcare value, assessing the relative service, quality and cost efficiencies of hospitals’ performances.
- We are one of the Top 10 Best Value Hospitals in Pennsylvania based on six universally accepted metrics of quality and cost efficiency.
This is an independent state agency that collects, analyzes and reports information on hospital cost and quality.
- Overall, Reading Hospital demonstrates strong clinical outcomes and financial performance relative to state and regional benchmarks.
- Across 17 conditions and procedures analyzed, Reading Hospital case-mix adjusted charges were better than state and regional benchmarks in every category.
- The Reading Hospital 30-day hospital readmission rate was significantly lower than expected for elective knee replacements.
Readmission is an outcome influenced by quality of inpatient and outpatient care.
- Hospital awarded based on a third-party survey conducted by Hospitals & Health Networks.
- MyChart provides an easy way for consumers to manage their healthcare needs online 24/7.
- Reading HealthConnect is for doctors and gives them instant access to all information to facilitate care coordination, ensure continuity of care, avoid unnecessary testing, navigate care management, refer patients to specialists, etc.
- We’ve been on the forefront of all technologies that will provide better outcomes for our patients. Some of these include the first Hybrid Operating Room in Berks County; Hana® Table for the latest anterior approach in total hip replacement; da Vinci® Surgical System for cardiothoracic, gynecologic, urologic and other minimally invasive procedures; and oncology Trilogy™ Radiation Therapy System with both RapidArc® and Exac-Trac® for improved accuracy and substantially reduced treatment times.
- Will combine the most advanced surgical services into one of the region’s most technologically sophisticated surgical centers, equipped with 24 surgical suites, six hybrid operating rooms and a patient tower with 150 private patient SMART rooms (opening Fall 2016).
- Our comprehensive, coordinated care network has over 300 primary care physicians and specialists across 45 locations in and around Berks County. They focus on wellness and prevention, as well and as chronic disease management and specialty care. Extended hours are available (please check practice).
- They offer walk-in care for all family members (no appointments needed) as well as extended evening and weekend hours at multiple locations for your convenience.
- Offers secure online access to your health records 24/7. You can view your health summary and test results, request appointments, renew prescriptions, communicate with your medical care team and access health information resources.
- Provides programs that facilitate integrated and coordinated care for employees of community businesses, with access to Reading Health System’s primary care, specialists and all facilities.
- We understand that guiding and empowering our patients is crucial to their health and well-being. That’s why Care Managers partner with patients with chronic diseases to ensure they follow their care plan. And Nurse Navigators guide cancer patients every step of the way.
- Provides the tools needed to help engage patients and their families in their care and health.
- A key part of caring for our patients is educating and empowering them to get back to health, or to simply stay healthy. We offer many no-cost health and wellness programs, screenings and support groups no matter where you are on your journey. Topics include nutrition, weight management, healing yoga, active aging, cancer education, diabetes programs, prenatal and parenting, to name a few. Click here for a current listing.
- We gather input and suggestions from both patients and family members who have received our care as a way to improve the care experience for other patients going forward.
- This revolutionary surgical facility opening in 2016 will offer access to the most modern surgical services, with 150 new patient rooms equipped with the most sophisticated SMART room technologies that will improve the quality of care. It will also have the largest rooftop Healing Garden in the state and the third largest green roof on a healthcare building in the United States.
- This alliance between Reading Health System and six other leading healthcare systems (across PA, NJ, NY and MD) is going to transform the way we deliver healthcare through joint initiatives that are focused on improving quality, affordability and access to care by sharing clinical, intellectual and economic capabilities.
- This is the first clinically integrated organization (CIO) in Berks County – created to deliver higher-quality, more efficient care for employees of various businesses, with shared savings for better outcomes.
- We provide access to the latest clinical trials close to home through established research affiliations.
What's New in the Community
- This local facility offers a range of health services, including Primary Care, Urgent Care, and Laboratory and Imaging. Extended evening and weekend hours are available across all services, and walk-ins are welcome to provide convenient access for urgent care, lab and imaging. To see one of our primary care physicians at Reading Health Physician Network Internal Medicine, simply call 610-898-9370.
- Opening in 2016, this revolutionary facility will be a combination surgical and inpatient tower that includes seven patient-care levels. This will create one of the region's most technologically advanced and sophisticated surgical centers, allowing the existing Emergency Department and Trauma Center to add 15 emergency treatment rooms and five trauma bays, a vital necessity for Pennsylvania's highest - volume emergency department. In addition, the tower will contain 150 private patient rooms with the latest in patient safety, family comfort and staff efficiency. There will also be 24 surgical suites, six hybrid operating rooms, and an all-new 88,000-square-foot Healing Garden high atop the facility – the largest in the state.